Help for a new CDS

Hello! I am a new CDS at my facility. I am the only CDS. There was nobody to officially train me, however, my facility has a CDI program that I have been given to do online via videos and testing. I am a RN BSN, currently working for a nursing informatics degree. I would like to know what my best resources are or what other certifications/programs that could be helpful for me. I found this site and talked them into buying me a membership! Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Network on this site! We just transitioned to a different platform so the conversations have been a little slow getting re-started. Just curious, what CDI Program and video's do you have? Do you have onsite coder's at your facility? They will be one of your best assets to getting started...you need to know the definitions of principle and secondary diagnoses, coding guidelines and chapter specific guidelines.

The 2016 CDI Pocket Guide sold by HCPRO would be a good resource to have also. Has your leadership given you any direction as to what types of patients and/or payers you will be reviewing? Do you have any software to assist you?

Don't feel like you are in it alone, many of us started out as solo CDI's and some still are solo. I started out solo 4yrs ago and have only had software since September and additional staff since November. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have specific questions, I am including my email address.

Jeff Morris

jwmorris@health.southalabama.edu

• Hi JWard,

If you can find a local or nearby ACDIS Chapter meeting to attend-they are full of educational and networking opportunities.  You can often phone in if you are far away and still receive all the info via email. I also changed my subscription from Advance for nurses to Advance for HIM. Full of coding and pertinent topics and education. While we are not coders any local classes for coding will help you become more fluent in the particulars of CDI and how it impacts coding and vice versa.  The internet is a valuable source of education, just be sure of your source validity.  Welcome to CDI and best of luck!

• In reaching out to your state/local ACDIS chapter, ask around to see if there is a facility that you could spend a day shadowing -- great chance to learn!  I'd focus more on program type of questions, process, physician relations, educational materials, etc. than on direct chart review elements.

Don
  • I would highly recommend the CDI pocket guide!  Also, the CCDS study guide is pretty helpful as well!  When I first started in CDI I did take coding classes at my local community college and I also think that was useful.  If you have access to coders, I would recommend forming a relationship with them, they will be able to help you learn where/how you can be most effective. 
    Good luck!
    Greta
  • We've been providing both the pocket guide as well as the CDI Complete Training Guide as required reading/study for novice CDS's that joined our team over the past years.  Recommend both!

Don
  • Another great resource in the study guide for Clinical Documentation.  You can purchase this guide through this website.

Thanks,

Tammie Williamson RN,BSN,CCDS

• I am a solo CDI where I work. Along with what others have suggested above, I recommend attending at least one ACDIS Conference (the next one is May 9-12th in Las Vegas). You can find more info at the following (copy and paste into your browser): 

http://hcmarketplace.com/2017-acdis-conference

Claudine

• I totally agree with Claudine above.  If there is any way that you would be able to escalate the entire Acdis packet to your director, circle some sessions that you would like to attend and let them know about the cost to benefit ratio that they will get upon return.  Then when you get back, present highlights and ideas that you may think about implementing.  A good strategy may be to find out the observed to expected mortality data that they have and how the work that you bring to the table can assist in lowering that rate to below 1.0.  This will surely peak their attention and you may have more success in getting buy-in for your ideas.  Good luck!!