Query Liability

Several of the physicians in one of our committees felt that if they got a lot of queries it would show they were not good doctors. They were concerned because at our hospital the query becomes a permanent part of the medical record. The doctors felt that having a lot of queries would reflect badly on their professional performance. My description of queries as clarifications of the record did not satisfy them. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm struggling with how to respond to the committee.

Tagged:

Comments

• I would tell them it is a misconception on their part. Query is simply a tool use to clarify the medical record. It is not a reflection of their ability as a doctor, but that they just did not document enough to reflect the complexity of the Patient and perhaps the care render? Show them concrete and actual examples of medical records contained queries on file and its impact. This is also another good example of why facility need to take another look at query% rate as a productivity metric.......