Staffing numbers inquiry

I am looking at CDI expansion at my hospital and would like to hear other program's staffing numbers. I have reviewed the 2014 ACDIS industry stats and see that 1:2000 discharges is the most reported, but I would like to present executive leadership with XX hospital has XX CDI staff and XX numbers of discharges annually.

Would anyone be willing to share this information with me? I understand that programs have different reporting, metrics, and focus, this is just a brief comparison of the current state. I would be willing to share this information with ACDIS staff for publication, if I can get enough answers to be valuable to everyone.

My email is Shannon.Huth@sfdph.org. Thank you!

Comments

• I also use 1:2000 - the 2000 represents accounts reviewed, not number of reviews.  We do review for a variety of quality measures and not 'just' for CC/MCC capture. 
  • Shannon,

One of the problems you'll encounter with looking at X cdi staff at Y hospital with Z discharges is that the majority of hospitals are not staffed to review all discharges, therefore they must prioritize where the focus review efforts.

We are in the area of 1:1900.

There was a white paper as I recall that discussed some of these issues; unfortunately I can't locate it ... though it could also have been a blog post or a journal article.

Does anyone else remember that paper? or am I losing more of my mind?

The first question when trying to figure out what is the appropriate staffing metric is what is the focus of activity for the CDI, thoroughness and frequency of reviews, reviewing for DRG management, add quailty measures, risk adjustment, mortality, PSI's, etc. etc.

The more layers added, there will be some decrease in productivity.

Don
  • Don,

I remember the white paper...was looking for it on Friday...maybe someone can help us out!

Jeff

• Thank you! This is all very helpful!
  • Someone sent me this staffing calculator some time back that may help.  

• Thank you, afloyd24!