CDI housed in.....

Hi All,

I am looking for data about where CDI is housed in facilities as well as any implications when CDI is housed in a particular location.

I found the 2014 program structure survey data but I could swear I've seen something more recently?

I would appreciate anything you can pass along.

thanks!

Katy

Comments

• I have my own space, collaborate with off site coder but report directly to the CNO of my hospital
  • We have 6 CDI. 4 are located in HIM across form MD lounge and 2 are located in an office downstairs. Space is very limited here. I am lead and I am located with other CDI staff. I think ideally CDI located in or near MD lounge or on units is very beneficial

• sorry! I should have been more clear! I mean what department?

sorry for the confusion :(

• Quality Dept

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCDS

• On line polls:

HIM
    Case Management Finance Quality Other
    9/24/2012 Which department houses your CDI program? 48% 30% 8% 10% 5%

Can't remember any more recent white papers ...

Maybe a good time to ask for a repeat of the online poll?

Don
  • thanks Don!! We are currently in Quality and they are considering moving us. I have a feeling there have been relatively significant changes in the last few years so I agree!
  • We report through HIM to finance. We used to report to the quality director through case management. Both have pros and cons. Since we have been reporting through HIM, we have more of a financial focus. For example, my performance goals are now based on CMI. Not what I would have picked as a measure of success, but it is what it is. 

Cathy Seluke
  • Hello,

We are directly under the CMO and based in house with 16 FTE CDI nurses.

Deanna Brennan

CDI director

• We are located in a small office in Case management , soon to move across the street from the main hospital where pt units are located.
  • Our reporting structure is manager then director of Health Information Management --> VP of Revenue Cycle.

Jackie Touch
    CHOC Children's, Orange, CA
  • CDI is housed in the HIM department at this time with reporting up through CDI Manager, to VP of Financial Operations.
  • We report directly to the CMO.

Tamara Hicks
    Director, Clinical Documentation Excellence
  • We are a stand alone department and report directly to the CFO.
  • We started our program under case management, which reports under the quality umbrella in our facility, but had some unforeseen circumstances come along.  After that we were moved under HIM.  We still work very closely with quality, but we learned the HIM model worked best for our program 
  • CDI is housed in the HIM department.  The HIM department just transitioned to finance, previously we reported to the CIO.
  • Our (regional) CDI program reports up to the Regional CMO. 
  • Quality Dept

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCDS

Paul, Since you are under the Quality umbrella, may I ask you some questions?  I'd love to email you. I'm at cari.merlina@yvmc.org. Thank you.
  • Yes - please feel free to contact me

evanspx@sutterhealth.org