Code for blood stream infection due to midline catheter

Good Evening Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had ever coded a blood stream infection due to a midline catheter (non central)? Another CDI and myself came up with T827XXA or T8029XA (probably not correct) but the coder is wanting to apply the code for a CLABSI. My issue with this is that the patient does not have a central line and therefore I don't think there should be a code applied for a central line associated bloodstream infection.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• You are exactly correct Jeff.  We had this same issue and went round and round and round before we got is straightened out.  It's important for the CDS to read the insertion notes as well as look at imaging to confirm where the tip ends.  You can get rid of quite a few CLABSIs this way.  
  • IMO-not a CLABSI unless the tip resides centrally. I agree with you, Jeff. Stick to your guns on this one and maybe get the coding manager involved to discuss.

Jackie
  • What is the code?
    If the infection is a Midline catheter related or associated bloodstream infection which code do you assign?
    In the United States, roughly 150 million Peripheral IVs are inserted annually, compared to only about 3 million central lines. Even taking into account central lines’ much longer dwell times, you can easily see how the total number of bloodstream infections  linked to Peripheral IVs could approach or even surpass that of central lines.