Viral Illness in Pediatrics

Physicians frequently write "adenovirus infection"... or "parainfluenza virus" without specifying bronchitis, croup, common cold, etc.

For example, patient presents with fever that is later attributed to parainfluenza virus.

Would you code it to the viral illness DRG 866 or query for underlying disease process?

Comments

• We see this frequently where they will say "adenovirus positive" or like you stated without giving us the site. I always query to determine if they are treating a URI vs. PNA, bronchiolitis, etc..depending on the clinical indicators and their documentation in the chart.

Jeff

• I do the same as Jeff. If CXR done I will look and see what radiologist says and query for concurrence by attending (if he/she hasn't already discussed his/her interpretation of the CXR) and link to the specified virus.

• Nice to see that other facilities struggle with the "+ culture" documentation. Our practice is to do the same as Jeff and chutchinson. Ongoing challenge to get providers to link the bug to infection to treatment provided.

Jackie Touch
    CHOC Children's
    Orange, CA