ABLA - Definitions Vary

Physician Query Handbook (ACDIS/HCPRO)

pg 53

"Acute blood loss anemia is anemia due to major blood loss.  Most physicians consider major blood loss as 20% of one's red cell mass, thus a fall in the HCT of over 8 points from baseline would qualify"

Comments

• Do you need to have a transfusion of blood products before sending the query for ABLA?
  • IMO, no - Rationale:  UHDDS Definition of A Reportable Condition does not require treatment to report any condition, although treatment clearly provides a rationale to report.  Also,  think about those patients that surely have ABLA, but refuse Transfusion.  Think about:  Additional Evaluation & Monitoring,  More Frequent Vitals,  iron supplements.
  • Look for any volume/plasma expanders:  crystalloids, colloids (LR, albumin, Voluven - heck, even NS IVF resuscitation).  
  • ACUTE BLOOD LOSS ANEMIA

In acute blood loss, the body itself adjusts to the situation by expanding the circulatory volume, which produces the subsequent anemia. Fluid from the extravascular spaces enters the blood circulation and has a diluting effect on the remaining cells.                                                       

Laboratory Findings: the earliest hematological change in acute blood loss is a transient fall in the platelet count, which may rise to elevated levels within 1 hour. The next change is the development of neutrophilic leukocytosis (from 10 to 35 × 109/L) with a shift to the left. The hemoglobin and hematocrit do not fall immediately but fall as tissue fluids move into the blood circulation. It can be 48 or 72 hours after the hemorrhage until the full extent of the red cell loss is apparent. Normal RBC Indices.  It takes about 2 to 4 days after the blood loss for the total white blood cell (WBC) count to return to normal and about 2 weeks for the morphological changes to disappear.

REF:

Clinical Hematology:Theory and Procedures

F I F T H  E D I T I O N

Mary L. Turgeon, EdD, MT(ASC

CHAPTER 7