TAVR

Has anyone had any issues with TAVRS and documentation of Acute On Chronic diastolic heart failure . But no treatment of the heart failure.

Niki Perry,RN,CDIS

niki.perry@springhill.org

(251)410-4090.

Comments

• edited February 2017

My thoughts on this is how the patient presents. If they have clinical indicators supporting acute CHF, wouldn't a TAVI procedure be considered treatment?  Severe Aortic Stenosis  can lead to decompensated CHF and post op TEE shows improvement of the EF/heart function.

Grace Pagnac, RN

grace.pagnac@sanfordhealth.org

• No issues in our practice.   A few thoughts:  1.  Planned Admit for TAVI = pt should be tuned up and likely not in decompensated CHF.  2.  Unplanned admit via Transfer or ED - may have AS and acute CHF and if so, look for typical support of acute CHF and query if needed.   Much more likely to see 'acute' CHF w/ admit not planned.    If acute is documented, but not clearly clinically supported, may be an issue with cut and paste would issue query for confirmation.   In my view, we need  to see typical features of acute chf and IV diuresis to justify coding of same and TAVI alone does not justify.
  • I agree with Paul's comments.

Secondly, there have been times in the past where I've heard of vendors (for device, procedure equipment, etc.) providing education to providers or referencing specific articles, etc. that discuss what is expected or likely to be seen for a small patient group.  This seems to run the risk of seeing exactly what the OP questions.

Don
  • Thanks for the wonderful insight on this................

Niki