Post-discharge queries

Hello all,
I am looking for some guidance regarding post-discharge queries.  Our facility is having a discussion about whether the provider needs to make a changes (ie-addendum) to the discharge summary to incorporate the query answer.  Our queries are a permanent part of the medical record and are either electronically in the record or are printed for the provider to sign and scanned in to the record.

This recently came about due to some post-bill queries that made upward DRG changes that were denied upon resubmission because the only place the additional diagnosis was documented was on the query.  Now, our facility is discussing whether to make all providers go back after discharge to add the diagnosis in their discharge summary as well as answering the query.  I should also note, that our post discharge queries have a statement noting that they are addendums to the record, usually specifying the discharge summary and date.

I realize that it would be best to have the query diagnoses documented more than on the query sheet, but if we are unable to review a chart concurrently, the query is not placed until after discharge, or the provider doesn't answer the query before discharge; however, this will take a major initiative in our organization to do this.

Are there any specific guidelines or rules outlining this issue that you call could share with me? How do you handle situations such as these?

Thank you,

Janine Podany, MSN, RN
Kearney Regional Medical Center
308-865-3908