Non Productive Time

Good Morning,

We are looking into tracking time spent on activities other than chart review, such as rounds, education, etc.  The issue is "Non-Productive Time" has a negative undertone.  Is anyone else tracking this and have you found a better name for this measure?

Thanks,

Deanna

Comments

• I often think of those activities as the important core of CDI.

I like terms such as 'collaboration' or 'physician outreach'

Don
  • Those are great Don and yes I agree!  Thank you!

Deanna

• Provider Engagement also works ...
  • I split out both the CDI education and provider education. To be a successful program both the CDI and medical teams deserve sufficient time for education.  Our program encourages each CDI to spend at least 2 hours per month on furthering their education. I am able to share both the amount of education each CDI spends as well as share with leadership how much time is spent at each site/monthly/yearly around educating medical providers. I am happy to share the tool our team uses.

• Great suggestions Tracy, thanks for sharing. I'd love to see the tool, please feel free to post it here!
  • Hi, attached is a mock version of the tool used here at Essentia Health to monitor education (non productive time).  Our tool is much more robust to include all: hours worked, PTO, CDI education, Medical practitioner education, etc.... 

I am happy to discuss further if anyone has questions.  Have a great holiday!

Tracy Boldt RN BSN CCDS CDIP

System Manager Clinical Documentation Inpatient/Outpatient

Essentia Health System

• Thank you for sharing this Tracy. I love the idea of allowing CDIs time for self education. What a wonderful idea.

Deanna