Diabetes and osteomyelitis

edited June 2017 in Clinical & Coding
We have recently received denials on 3 cases where the patients had osteomyelitis and diabetes. The discharges were May and November 2014 and March 2015. We had coded osteomyelitis as principal diagnosis (on the advice of Coding Clinic Q4 2013 which unlinked diabetes and osteo in ICD 10). The cases are coded in ICD 9 since the ICD 10 implementation was delayed. Our coding manager wants me to appeal on the basis of the 2013 Coding Clinic, but I think it only applies to ICD 10. Of course, the 2 conditions got relinked in CC Q4 2016. Help!! My head is exploding. 

Comments

• cseluke said:
    We have recently received denials on 3 cases where the patients had osteomyelitis and diabetes. The discharges were May and November 2014 and March 2015. We had coded osteomyelitis as principal diagnosis (on the advice of Coding Clinic Q4 2013 which unlinked diabetes and osteo in ICD 10). The cases are coded in ICD 9 since the ICD 10 implementation was delayed. Our coding manager wants me to appeal on the basis of the 2013 Coding Clinic, but I think it only applies to ICD 10. Of course, the 2 conditions got relinked in CC Q4 2016. Help!! My head is exploding. 

If you query the MD's to link the osteo to the diabetes then it can be appealed..
  • Was there any indication of diabetes linked to foot ulcer?  The link may have needed to be clarified and specifically stated not associated with diabetes.