Provider Education/Communication via Social Media

Laurie Prescott's presentation on Tuesday regarding Resident education got one of my innovative CDI's thinking..she mentioned reaching Residents via social media. I was wondering if any of you have done this successfully and wouldn't mind sharing successes, hurdles, etc.. I attempted years ago pre ICD-10 and was met with resistance from Compliance who feared that young Residents would not consider HIPPA and would post patient specific questions to the site. I don't know if facebook now has the ability for a page to not allow responses and simply be informational. I was a one man show at the time and just gave up.

Just looking to see if any of you have done anything similar

Jeff

Tagged:

Comments

• Laurie Prescott's presentation on Tuesday regarding Resident education got one of my innovative CDI's thinking..she mentioned reaching Residents via social media. I was wondering if any of you have done this successfully and wouldn't mind sharing successes, hurdles, etc.. I attempted years ago pre ICD-10 and was met with resistance from Compliance who feared that young Residents would not consider HIPPA and would post patient specific questions to the site. I don't know if facebook now has the ability for a page to not allow responses and simply be informational. I was a one man show at the time and just gave up.

Jeff

• The thought had not occurred to me but I am intrigued to hear if others have done/do this. I would be very concerned about HIPPA.

Claudine

• jwmorris1 said:

Laurie Prescott's presentation on Tuesday regarding Resident education got one of my innovative CDI's thinking..she mentioned reaching Residents via social media. I was wondering if any of you have done this successfully and wouldn't mind sharing successes, hurdles, etc.. I attempted years ago pre ICD-10 and was met with resistance from Compliance who feared that young Residents would not consider HIPPA and would post patient specific questions to the site. I don't know if facebook now has the ability for a page to not allow responses and simply be informational. I was a one man show at the time and just gave up.

Jeff

This is an idea I have also been sitting on for a while. Facebook certainly has come up with tighter "closed groups" which allow you to have for example a closed CDI page made only available to your organization and people have to be "invited/accepted" to join by an administrator who monitors the page. Also, I believe you have the option to limit posts to only page administrator(s) thus keeping it simply informational.

• Hi Lara!

Thanks for the info...that would be an option if it could be simply informational...compliance might approve it this time around if we were the only ones allowed to post.

Thanks!

Jeff

• Actually I was going to set up a Twitter feed for CDI stuff and was discouraged from doing so for similar reasons.  I do think you can moderate a FB page to not allow responses but that kind of defeats the purpose.  Still, would be interested in exploring the idea further, maybe in a totally generic way.  let's keep up the conversation.