Debridement of Synovium

Hello.  I would like your opinion re the correct code based on this documentation.  First thought is to go to Non-excisional debridement (extraction) since there is no mention of actual sharp debridement or trimming, but not sure if I should assume that.  Thanks for your help.

There was some minor fraying of the medial meniscus and the lateral meniscus. This was not addressed due to the nature and reason for the arthroscopy. A judicious debridement was made of some synovium, which was hyperemic and reddened. Aside from that, there was felt to be no further arthroscopic treatment needed with respect to the articular cartilage over the menisci.  Again, some of the reddened hypertrophic synovium was debrided. We then irrigated 21 liters......     

Tagged:

Comments

• I think it is non-excisional, because it is an arthroscopy procedure and they usually use a debrider instrument for this cases. You can also try to find on the opnote if they used and arthroscopic scissor to excise the synovium and that will be excisional.