<1dLOS rev

Looking for information that supports the idea that patient records should not reviewed until they have reached a >1day LOS.   Are there any papers that discuss this? Are we missing Q opportunites if pt is not reviewed before the weekend and then d/c over the weekend?

Comments

• I don't know of any articles but where I work an inpatient must be here 2 days before he/she will show up on the CDI census report.
  • We start with 2 day LOS to give the Provider some time for decision making and working through differentials. That being said, we probably do miss some opportunity in patients admitted late Thursday that may discharge during the weekend or first thing Monday morning.

3M has an option to create a worklist of discharged without CDI review that I am thinking about pursuing and seeing what the opportunities are. If you do not have a system that would allow for this is there a way for you to pull a list of patients discharged from Thursday night-Monday morning and work those into your workflow?

I have looked at some 1 day LOS patients and end up assigning a working DRG with potentials for others and they end up having a different diagnosis than first thought by the Provider so I personally do not see the benefit in looking at 1 day LOS unless you have the time and they are in a critical care unit and obviously not going to be discharged for a while.

I will probably pursue the discharged without review after the first of the year and see what opportunities exist at our facilities.

Interested to hear what other facilities are doing and what they are finding.

Thanks, Jeff

• Hi yes I agree with Jeff. We start our reviews on day 2-3ish because the work up have been started or completed by that time. Also in peds, in many cases those 1 day stays turn into Obs cases.

Steph

• In order to review cases on day one, would not you need staffing 7 days per week?
  • Thank You for all your imput.