Coding training for CDI

I have been doing IP CDI for 6 months and will now be starting CDI in physician practice setting. My lack of coding knowledge is a huge hindrance. What coding training options would be best for an RN to facilitate CDI? 

Comments

• Great Question!

Unofficially, the least expensive offerings for introductory coding type courses are realistically going to be through our own HCPRO coding boot camps or alternatively through the AAPC.   If you have a bit more time to commit, many community colleges offer these types of courses as well...and you will get a much longer, in dept course.    Having said that, many RN's learn on the job by working several hours a week directly with the coding staff.   You can also obtain some of the resources free such as the official inpatient and outpatient coding guidelines on CMS.gov and or within your employees encoder tools such as AHA coding clinic and additional coding suggestions from industry experts.  For up to the minute reading, you can gain a lot about what is going on via our own ACDIS blogs, the ACDIS Journal and great sites like ICD 10 monitor, RAC monitor and of course, AHIMA and the AHIMA Journal.   Last but not least, both ACDIS and AHIMA covers white papers on various topics which impact various coding conundrums as well.

• From personal experience I'd recommend the HCPRO Inpatient Coding Bootcamp (one week class).  I attended years ago when I broke into IP coding and it was a huge help teaching me how to read a chart, develop the "story", and code the record.  I'd also recommend reviewing Coding Conventions in the coding ICD-10-CM/PCS book and the last 3-5 years of AHA Coding Clinic if you have access to them.  While not exactly exciting reading they are written for coders and you'll start to gleen how coders are thinking and why certain things are as they are. 

Erik Kilbo, CCS, CCS-P, CPC-I, CCDS, CDIP

• Thank you for the responses! I selected an online Risk Adjustment Coding course with Compliant Coding Systems that is less than $500 and I can do at my own pace over one year or log into live sessions multiple times a week. I'm able to log in and listen to the classes on my long drive to work. The content is essential to outpatient CDI with primary provider focus. They also recognize the need for tools for use in  Provider education and are offering CDI and Coders 14-one hour classes called  "Support It and Report It Advancing Provider Documentation ". 
    So much to learn!