Mortality Reviews

Good morning.  Our Quality department recently had an audit done by a vendor who reported on areas for opportunity around expected deaths.  The areas identified do not necessarily correspond with information that we, on the CDI side, are obtaining from our 3M software.  Wondering if anyone else has had this experience?  Thanks for any feedback. 

Comments

• Was the vendor using a risk adjusted methodology?

Thanks, Jeff

• Jeff makes an excellent point...there are multiple methodologies used to measure mortality metrics.  I'd suggest that your internal Quality department should be the authority on this issue in that someone there should know precisely how your mortality is generated and reported.  (I'd ask them)?

Paul Evans, RHIA

• Typically mortality reviews focus on risk adjusted diagnoses and POA status. There is often opportunity to risk adjust the mortality to more accurately reflect the condition of the patient on admit. You should find out which Risk Adjustment models are being used and go from there, as Paul said your Quality department should be able to guide you in the right direction. Best of luck!
  • Thank you for responding-- I appreciate it.  Janie