CC/MCC Capture Rate Reports

Lately our organization has become more focused on CC/MCC capture reports and our Hospitalist team is really focused on getting their MCC documentation up. This has presented several challenges.
1.) The report they send me for capture rates is often based on statistically insignificant numbers (such as a review of an MD capture rate based on 1-3 patients)
2.) The capture rates are assigned to the MD that does the discharge summary so, often the surgeons are only graded on their more simple cases that have less chance of cc/mcc capture because they turn over complex medical patients to the Hospitalist .
3.) I can not find a data base to gauge where we are in comparison with our peers. Is there a data base where I can find cc/mcc capture rates for other facilities and look for a facility of similar size that offers similar services?

I have expressed my concerns over the significance/validity of the report based on the above issues but this keeps coming up and finance seems very invested in this report. Can you offer any suggestions or resources? Have you heard of anyone else struggling with this?

Thanks, Rhonda

Comments

• Hello Rhonda,

Each measure has its pros and cons. I would suggest merging all hospitalists as one group since they may cover each other and compare each physician capture rate with this number.

There are so many reports which can be used in addition to "capture rate" to evaluate physicians, like cost report analysis. You can seek help from your Quality team to share those data with you.

Thank you,
    Pooria