Job Search-How to find/evaluate a strong CDI program

Due to a family situation, I have been on a 3 month leave of absence from working.  I am not sure what my next career steps will be but am looking for advice on how to find/evaluate a strong CDI program.  I am open to moving but what should I look for in evaluating any CDI job opportunities/departments?  I have only been a CDI for 2 years,  have my CCDS, with lots of nursing experience but haven”t done an active job search in many years. Thanks for any insight you can share. 
Theresa Coonan BSN, RN,CCDS
coonan6@gmail.com
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Theresa!

I would advise seasoned CDI staff to actively investigate and research the goals of the CDI Dept. of interest.  Also, ask about their reporting/organizational structure.  Make sure your goals align with theirs: financial vs. quality focus.  A strong CDI program will have a solid reporting structure and an established mission/goals/values.  Ask questions regarding the current staff (longevity), metrics, etc.  I think the "strength" of the program will depend on the focus of the program, which could be vastly different if the focus is quality vs. financial.  Evaluate their vision for CDI Career Ladders and growth...Whether they have a CDI Team Lead, CDI Trainer/Educator, CDI Quality Analyst/Reviewer.  These things will show a strong CDI program that is invested in their staff with a quality focus.  I hope that helps! 

• nayloram said:

Hi Theresa!

I would advise seasoned CDI staff to actively investigate and research the goals of the CDI Dept. of interest.  Also, ask about their reporting/organizational structure.  Make sure your goals align with theirs: financial vs. quality focus.  A strong CDI program will have a solid reporting structure and an established mission/goals/values.  Ask questions regarding the current staff (longevity), metrics, etc.  I think the "strength" of the program will depend on the focus of the program, which could be vastly different if the focus is quality vs. financial.  Evaluate their vision for CDI Career Ladders and growth...Whether they have a CDI Team Lead, CDI Trainer/Educator, CDI Quality Analyst/Reviewer.  These things will show a strong CDI program that is invested in their staff with a quality focus.  I hope that helps! 

This is great advice.  In addition, in my ideal world,  I'd look for a CDI staff with a high % of CDS credentials, CCDS/CDIP, as such would indicate commitment and strong desires to remain current - important given the pace of change in the profession.  I would also check to ensure the team has strong support from Executives and MD leadership - does the program have a physician acting effectively as support for the CDI process?  I'd also see if the program is involved with preventing denials and also responding to denials.  Obviously, you'd want to ensure the program formally acknowledges Industry Best Practices and policies.  I'd also want to discuss the clinical criteria used at the site by medical staff for key clinical issues, ensuring the same are used by CDI, Coding, Quality, etc.   Good luck to you.

Paul Evans

CCDS