POA time limit

I am looking for the CMS document that states the 30 day limit in capturing a diagnosis POA status. The rule came out in 2017 I believe

Comments

• The official coding guidelines has a special section for present on admission, aka, the "present on admission guidelines'

Within that they state: 

"There is no required timeframe as to when a provider (per the definition of “provider” used in these guidelines) must identify or document a condition to be present on admission.  In some clinical situations, it may not be possible for a provider to make a definitive diagnosis (or a condition may not be recognized or reported by the patient) for a period of time after admission.  In some cases it may be several days before the provider arrives at a definitive diagnosis.  This does not mean that the condition was not present on admission.  Determination of whether the condition was present on admission or not will be based on the applicable POA guideline as identified in this document, or on the provider’s best clinical judgment.   

If at the time of code assignment the documentation is unclear as to whether a condition was present on admission or not, it is appropriate to query the provider for clarification. "

"If the final diagnosis contains a possible, probable, suspected, or rule out diagnosis, and this diagnosis was based on signs, symptoms or clinical findings suspected at the time of inpatient admission, assign “Y.” 

Documentation does not indicate whether condition was present on admission  Assign “U” when the medical record documentation is unclear as to whether the condition was present on admission.  “U” should not be routinely assigned and used only in very limited circumstances.  Coders are encouraged to query the providers when the documentation is unclear.   " 

I am unfamiliar with a CMS document specifically limiting to capturing this.  I have seen instances where the entire record was still coded after 30 days. 

The Medicare claims processing manual says you have 1 year.

"70 - Time Limitations for Filing Part A and Part B Claims
    (Rev. 2140, Issued: 01-21-11, Effective: 01-01-10, Implementation: 02-22-11)
    Medicare regulations at 42 CFR 424.44 define the timely filing period for Medicare fee
    for service claims. In general, such claims must be filed to the appropriate Medicare
    claims processing contractor no later than 12 months, or 1 calendar year, after the date
    the services were furnished. (See section §70.7 below for details of the exceptions to the