Peritonitis in OB Case with ruptured uterus

Patient in labor-> ruptured uterus-> c/s. Post op documentation of “complicated by postoperative ileus likely due to chemical peritonitis since patient had spillage of meconium stained amniotic fluid into her abdominal cavity.”

It’s the chemical peritonitis I’m having trouble with. I am coming up with code T8161XA aseptic peritonits due to foreign substance accidently left during a procedure, initial encounter. Just doesn’t seem right… and its causing a HAC. Thoughts?

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Interesting! I think this is vernix caseosa (very rare maternal complication of c-section). Chemical peritonitis does index to your code, but I agree it does not seem right. I would go with 075.4  other complication of obstetric surgery and procedures and K65.8 other peritonitis. I would probably submit to Coding Clinic. I don't think ICD 10 has a specific code for this very rare diagnosis. 
  • That's a good option Cathy! I thought about that one. I think that may be the best way to accurately describe the condition and submitting to CC would be a great idea, just wait 5-7 months.

Jillian, If you submit to CC, please let us know the verdict.

Jeff