Coding Certificate Advice

Seeking advice regarding obtaining certification in coding. I understand that there are 2 types CCS and CCA. Unsure of the difference.  I am instrested in this because I feel that I am "missing' something in my knowlege.  Does anyone have a program that they recommend?

Comments

• I did the CCS (from Ahima), which is the higher level cert. As a CDI with 3 years experience it's doable, but I had to learn outpatient coding from scratch at a level high enough to pass the exam as the test includes both inpatient and outpatient. There are lots of prep classes you can take - I would not recommend the one I paid for -  I learned more from youtube and coding books. 
  • edited September 2018

I have my CCS, I sat for the test after a year in this field. I will admit that it was a BRUTAL exam, but I was also inexperienced. Time was my enemy, though I have heard there have been improvements with the I-10 test. I do feel like prepping for it solidified my coding knowledge and helped me understand the complicated nature of the field. Holding this certification also provides credibility when working closely with coders. The CCA is entry level whereas the CCS is the 'gold standard' for inpatient coding, however of course the CCA would be significantly easier.

I didn't use a course, just the AHIMA study guide. I will admit that I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into when I registered to take the test. As the prior respondent said, it tests over IP and OP so that is the biggest challenge. I had no knowledge/training of CPT prior. That being said, I would have prioritized very differently in retrospect (I wrote a post explaining my suggestions right after I took the exam in 2012).

good luck!

Katy

• How were you able to sit for the CCS without taking the courses? It looks like although I have most of the courses with my RN, there are 2 others I would have to take. I have 5 years CDI experience but not coding experience. Thanks for any info you might have! I'm thinking that with my CCDS and a CCS I might have even more opportunities in the future.

TIA,

Krista

• The guidelines have changed since I took my CCS so you may have required courses you need to take outside of your RN classes. The required courses when I took the test were courses that were included in my BSN so I didn't have that issue.

Katy

• The guidelines have changed since I took my CCS so you may have required courses you need to take outside of your RN classes. The required courses when I took the test were courses that were included in my BSN so I didn't have that issue.

Katy

OK thanks so much!