Dilated vs Ischemic Cardiomyopathy

Hi! From my understanding, ischemic cm is a type of dilated cardiomyopathy. When I look up dilated CM in the encoder, it asks if the pt also has ischemic cardiomyopathy, and both codes come up (I420, I255). Is this just a encoder issue? The last coding clinic on this issue is from 2013, before ICD 10, but we haven't found a coding clinic to supercede this one. Can anyone speak on if we only code ischemic type or if we also include the dilated CM?

Dilated Ischemic Cardiomyopathy

Coding Clinic, Fourth Quarter 2013 Page: 102
New codes contained in this issue effective with discharges October1, 2013. Other coding advice or code assignments contained in this issue effective with discharges October 21, 2013.

Question:

What is the correct ICD-9-CM code assignment when dilated and ischemic cardiomyopathy are both documented by the provider in the medical record?

Answer:

Assign code 414.8, Other specified forms of chronic ischemic heart disease, for dilated and ischemic cardiomyopathy. The underlying cause is the ischemic cardiomyopathy.

Comments

• Looking in a code book...the entire I42 category has I25.5 as an excludes 2, meaning they can be reported together if both are present and clinically valid.