Ventricular hypertrophy and type of CHF

Hello,

I have a clinical question that came from one of my coders and would like some input ...

The ventricular hypertrophy you see with chronic heart failure is evidence of heart failure.

When a person has chronic systolic heart failure which ventricle is hypertrophied? The same with diastolic?

I have been told by a few people in the past that diastolic is right side and systolic is left side.  But I know there is right heart failure due to left heart failure.

Also do you see dilation and hypertrophy at the same time in the ventricles.  I know that when one ventricle is hypertrophied that often the atrium above it will be dilated due to that ventricle not being able to relax as much as  it used to, like a bodybuilder that does not stretch.

So for example if on an echo we see an atrium that is dilated is that an indicator of early heart failure?

Thank you for your assistance

Comments

• edited June 2019

Interesting question.

here was a seemingly good article that might get to the crux of your question:

https://cvphysiology.com/Heart Failure/HF009

Sometimes providers will respond wtih NO CHF because they don't see a reduce Left ventricular EF. with the coding clinic stating HF pEF will code to diastolic it would code there.

MY GUESS, I could be wrong, maybe some cardiology docs don't think of diastolic CHF as CHF, and only Systolic- indicating a more severe CHF/Clinical condition? Similar to how some cardiologist only think of a NSTEMI as a type 1 MI ( "type 2 don't matter to us, we don't want the referral, it can be handled by the hospitalist, when we say no NSTEMI we are saying, NO coronary occlusive cause"

I didn't ANSWER it but, at least food for thought :)

• Thank you this helps