ARDS & Respiratory Failure

Hello All,

I'm looking for some feedback in relation to ARDS & Respiratory Failure. We've been receiving some feedback from our coding department, asking for clarification between ARDS & Respiratory Failure.  Can you help me with the appropriate query for the following information? And would you query at all? I've received some feedback from other CDI that they would not query. 
I originally thought a query that asked what was treated.  choices included Respiratory Failure that contributed/lead to ARDS; Respiratory Failure Only; Other etc. 

Then I thought perhaps a linking query would be best... Respiratory failure is/is not directly related to ARDS. 

From Coding:
"If they are related to the same condition but being used interchangeably, they are conflicting diagnoses and would need to be clarified with a query.  Per guidelines, Issues related to inconsistent, missing, conflicting or unclear documentation must still be resolved by the provider.  If there would be no response to the query, then you would follow the guidelines for Excludes 1 Notes.  There is an Excludes 1 note under category J96 – “Excludes J80”, therefore you would assign only code J80 – ARDS; following guidance in ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding Clinic, Fourth Quarter ICD-10 2018 Pages: 87-88 Effective with discharges: October 8, 2018."

What do you do in your facility? 

Tagged: