Creating diagnosis policy hospital wide

Has anyone taken Diagnosis criteria and made it into an official  hospital policy? Let's say respiratory failure, we have our criteria we use for that diagnosis, but, has anyone been able to translate that into a hospital wide policy? If so how did you go about instituting it? Is it more beneficial to publish it as a white paper and use that to help jump start the policy?

Comments

• I was in the process of working on this with our physician adviser. We were just in the planning stages before COVID hit, and it has since been on hold. I can update, down the line when we have made some progress.
  • We have adopted Clinical Indicators for 8 diagnoses that have been approved by our Medical Records Committee and put into practice. Its not "policy" per se but our physicians are educated on using these criteria to promote consistency and we include these indicators with our queries that are for those diagnoses. If you have a committee that is specific to HIM or a physician advisor that would help you start the process.

I will update if we are able to make this policy. Please keep us updated on how your process is going.

Nicole