re: Re-bills

Kim~ just reading through old posts and I saw this question. I recently asked this question of our Patient Financial Services. I have included her response.

Medicare timely limits depend on the DOS. I've copied the regulation below. Basically for DOS Jan-Sep, we have until 12/31 of the FOLLOWING year to file with Medicare. For Oct-Dec, we have until 12/31 TWO YEARS after the DOS. Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.

Medicare regulations at 42 CFR 424.44 define the timely filing period for Medicare fee-for service claims. In general, such claims must be filed on, or before, December 31 of the calendar year following the year in which the services were furnished. (See section G below for details of the exceptions.) Services furnished in the last quarter of the year are considered furnished in the
following year; i.e., the time limit is the second year after the year in which such services were furnished.

She did not include the (Section G)in her response, so an not sure what the exceptions are.

Ronna

Ronna Mahlen RN, BSN | Manager of Clinical Documentation
Overlake Hospital Medical Center |1035 116th Ave NE Bellevue WA 98004 |425-467-3811 Phone | 425-941-0502 Cell| Ronna.Mahlen@overlakehospital.org