HAC-7 & PSI-7

I am a new CDI Apprentice working in a Quality Assurance Nurse role. One of my focuses is on chart review and specifically HAC/PSI. I have recently been having difficulty with HAC-7 & PSI-7 which do not meet reporting criteria for NHSN purposes. For instance, a patient has a blood culture drawn from a PICC line that comes back positive for coagulase negative staph. The patient has a blood culture drawn from a peripheral site the same day that comes back negative. The patient also has sputum cultures the same day also positive for coagulase negative staph. The provider documents "possible central line infection versus contaminant". The chart is coded and the patient falls into HAC-7 and PSI-7.

I was wondering if there would be either a documentation opportunity for the provider or an opportunity to query for greater specificity. If so, what would that be? Looking to standardize what I send to coders and/or CDI.

This is what they have been sending:

For greater specificity, please document your clinical opinion as to the following: (including possible, suspected, concern for)

-- "Line Sepsis" PICC Line Infection Ruled Out"

-- PICC Line infection confirmed

-- Other, please specify

-- Clinically Undetermined

I would sincerely appreciate any help/direction you could give me!

Thank you,

Angela