Takotsubo cardiomyopathy and NSTEMI tyep 2

We have been advised not to code Takotsubo cardiomyopathy and Type 2 NSTEMI if both are documented in the medical record. I cannot find a coding clinic or coding rule that specifically states these two diagnoses should not both be coded.

Comments

• I would ask why, as they are not inherent to each other. Some great communication statements are. How did you come to that conclusion, Can you help me better understand and or tell me more about that. Additionally, did the takotsubo cause the NSTEMI 2, as the cardiomyopathy with a low EF can be what is causing the demand ischemia. This type of cardiomyopathy can cause an NSTEMI and if so code first underlying condition rule would apply.

Redfors B, Råmunddal T, Shao Y, Omerovic E. Takotsubo triggered by acute myocardial infarction: a common but overlooked syndrome? J Geriatr Cardiol. 2014 Jun;11(2):171-3. doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1671-5411.2014.02.001. PMID: 25009569; PMCID: PMC4076459.

• I have asked several Cardiologist and do not get the same opinion. the same can be true for PEs.

I think if it's always there it's inherent, if it is often there but not always it's open to provider opinion.