Questions

Good morning,

Who is responsible in your organization to follow a CDI query once the patient is discharged? Would that be CDI or coding?

Also, does the working codes/DRG information flow over so that coders may view/copy/use what is asssigned by CDI?

Comments

• Hi Lori,

I can offer some input on this. The organization usually decides who will handle post discharge queries. Some organizations prefer CDI follow start to finish while others ask coding to take over. Think about workflow and efficiency. Who can get them answered the easiest and the quickest? I have seen both areas perform this process. Sometimes it is easier for CDI to just finalize it but you want to also ensure they are communicating with coding in order to not hold up the chart for billing.

Most coding and CDI softwares do permit the working DRG to flow over but not all. I would check with the individual software rep on this. Also keep in mind that it may flow over but may not be viewable or utilized by the coding staff in their process. I would also check in with your coding department to understand their process.

Hope that helps.