OB coding question: Severe Pre-e with hypertensive emergency

Does anyone know if you can capture Severe Pre-eclampsia (O1) with Hypertensive Emergency (I161)?

Our consultants state that the codes can be captured together without concern. We have been querying and capturing the diagnosis then it came to a stop based on our coding depts advice. Our coding dept does not support capturing the conditions together due to the coding convention "Code also any identified hypertensive disease (I10-I15)"

Appreciate any insight!

Comments

• I am not a coder, but it looks like the combination code O11.9, Pre-existing hypertension with pre-eclampsia, unspecified trimester would cover both. These are new codes introduced in 2016 CC 4th quarter.

According to the guidelines- Assign only the combination code when that code fully identifies the diagnostic conditions involved or when the Alphabetic Index so directs. Multiple coding should not be used when the classification provides a combination code that clearly identifies all of the elements documented in the diagnosis. When the combination code lacks necessary specificity in describing the manifestation or complication, an additional code should be used as a secondary code.

I would love to know what others who work with these types of cases have to say.