Re:AIHCD-Association for Integrity inHealthcareDocumentation

Good points about senior leadership and perspective about having the letters after one's name. Certainly can not argue that.

However, I am also thinking from the perspective of the working CDS and their direct supervisor. Additionally, how close to CDI many folks are who make those hiring decisions. These groups of folks are more likely to have a better understanding of the relative values of different certifications. If I were a staff CDS considering which certification to pursue, this perspective would weigh heavily.

In contrast, as a hiring manager, anyone with verifiable experience as a CDS (whether or not they have certification) jumps to the very top of the consideration list -- around here, there simply are NO candidates that apply with experience. That being said, would still look with favor at either the CCDS or CDIP over the C-CDI.

As far as AIHCD, I noticed their website about 6 months ago and have been interested/curious where they are going. Haven't really seen or heard much. Their blog, publications, information, etc. really don't seem to have much or any content.
I have wondered:
*why not work to influence and established organization
*somehow have a gut discomfort with the apparent relationship between the organization and one specific consultant
*what does AIHCD intend to offer that is more valuable than what ACDIS & AHIMA offer
*what is the history or genesis of AIHCD
*whom are the individuals involved (background, expertise, skills, etc.)

Don

Donald A. Butler, RN, BSN
Manager, Clinical Documentation
PCMH, Greenville NC
dbutler@pcmh.com