Query or not?

When doc documents Acute on chronic CKD, do you just code it to 584.9 or query the doc whether it meant ARF (AKI)?
We always used to query, but I hear from coding professional that they would code it to 584.9.
Thanks,

Anna Rozhkovskaya, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P
Manager, Clinical Documentation Improvement
Memorial Healthcare System
Health Information Management Department
2990 Executive Way, Miramar, Fl 33025
(954)276-9957 Office
(954)265-6974 Mobile
(954)441-9459 Fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: DO NOT FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO OTHERS WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE SENDER.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged material that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, copying, or taking any action in reliance on its contents is prohibited. If you have any reason to believe this e-mail was not intended for you, please delete the e-mail and any attachments, and notify the sender immediately.

Comments

• I'd always query the term 'acute kidney disease' as this does not code to 584.9.

PE

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CCDS

Manager, Regional Clinical Documentation & Coding Integrity
    Sutter West Bay
    633 Folsom St., 7th Floor, Office 7-044
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    Cell: 415.412.9421

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• edited April 2016
    Here, the coders will take to 5849 without Query clarification.

• I believe that is an error - check the Index and there is not a pathway to 584.9 for the term 'acute kidney disease'. We query this term.

PE

Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• edited April 2016
    Yes, this is what I was referring to, but coders stating that since CKD codes to chronic renal failure, the acute on chronic codes to 584.9. I disagree with this.

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 1:47 PM
    To: Rozhkovskaya, Anna
    Subject: RE:[cdi_talk] Query or not?

I believe that is an error - check the Index and there is not a pathway to 584.9 for the term 'acute kidney disease'. We query this term.

PE

Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• Given 584.9 (acute kidney injury/failure) is a VERY common (and possibly 'sole') CC and a factor for ROM assignment, I'd review the coding guidelines and index for this topic. I can only state that my staff will query the term 'acute kidney disease', and it is pertinent the Official Index codes directly to the code referenced earlier, which is not 584.9.

Best...PE

Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• edited April 2016
    Thanks so much, everyone. I completely agree with querying! :)

• Please clarify the nature of the patient's renal status:

Physician Response:*

Acute Kidney Injury / Failure
    Tubular Necrosis
    Acute Cortical Necrosis
    Medullary Necrosis
    Other Diagnosis

Posttraumatic Renal Failure
    Acute
    Chronic

Post-procedural Renal Failure
    Acute
    Chronic

Renal Insufficiency
    Acute
    Chronic

Azotemia (meaning uremia)
    Chronic
    Prerenal
    Extrarenal

Nephropathy
    Diabetic
    Toxic
    SLE
    Amyloid
    Hypertensive
    Other diagnosis (please specify)*

Interstitial nephritis

Glomerulonephritis (please specify)*

Unable to determine

Other diagnosis (please specify)*

Sutter West Bay
    San Francisco, CA 94107

evanspx@sutterhealth.org

• edited April 2016
    Thank you again, Paul. I will share it with my team. This is good query template.

• edited April 2016
    I completely agree with Paul. I teach my team to query if the docs have written acute kidney disease or acute on chronic kidney disease, because acute kidney disease codes to "disorder of kidney and ureter." Acute on chronic kidney disease is a misnomer anyway (see CC 3Q2010), and although we understand what the physician meant, we have to use what they actually said.

Renee

Linda Renee Brown, RN, MA, CCDS, CCS, CDIP
    Director, Clinical Documentation
    Tanner Health System
  • Hi Paul,
    I would like to query for posttraumatic renal failure when there is an opportunity. What makes me uncomfortable to include this in the response choices is that it is an MCC, so I imagine it must need more intense clinical indicators. It codes to posttraumatic anuria - does the patient have to be anuric? I can't find clinical indicators for it. I look forward to your guidance and thoughts. 
    Thank you!
    Carmi
  • Hi, Carmi

I just saw your posting.  To be honest, 99% of my query opportunities regarding potential acute renal failure occur in the settings of contrast, sepsis, dehydration, or poisoning, etc.,

I note the index describes both acute and chronic postprocedural renal failure as N99.0 with an additional code to describe the type of kidney disease.   So, the code N99.0 is not an MCC, the additional code for the type of renal failure may or may not be a CC or MCC.  

In a query, I’d suggest you ask if the ‘renal disease’ is associated with the potential procedure.  
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your reply!

My apologies for not mentioning that this is for trauma cases who have AKI. I would like to add posttraumatic renal failure to my Query Response choices for AKI specificity/cause (ATN, prerenal, vasomotor nephropathy, etc....).

I need help with clinical indicators for posttraumatic renal failure (codes to posttraumatic anuria), which is an MCC. 

Thank you!
  • Hi Paul,

Just an additional info - When I enter Posttraumatic Renal Failure in the 3M Encoder - it gives me T795XXA....
    Thank you!

Carmi

• Anuria, Post Procedural, codes to N99.0: neither a CC nor MCC, and requires a SECONDARY code to report the precise type of any additional renal failure

Anuria, Following Crushing Injury, codes to T79.5XXA, and this is an MCC.  I have not seen this much at all in my work to be honest.  I have not researched the indicators, but it follows to me that a lack of urine production (anuria) following a crushing injury is the diagnostic criteria. 

There are clinical citations for 'anuria' and 'anuria due to injury' on the web, but I am having issues with my cope and paste.

As far as indicators for AKI and ATN, I personally advocate for KDIGO.

If you want more detailed information on the criteria I personally use, please write me

evanspx@sutterhealth.org, as this forum is limited.

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCDS

• Hi Paul,

This is great info from you. I will keep this in mind for crushing injuries and if anuric among other indicators.
    Thank you so much for your input and advice on this!

Carmi
  • Hi, Carmi
    Thank you for the question. I have not thought about anuria following crushing injury, and this could help me in my workflow.  I tend to ‘always’ think about acute renal disease in the typical settings of other processes that are more common.

Paul