Quality Metric Capture

How are you managing to capture or your CDI quality efforts? For example ensuring a PSI post-op complication that is NOT a true complication doesn't get coded as such? Are you just doing a tally of the number of cases that you "save"? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• We do not track this in the concurrent process. I think it is generally problematic to attempt to predict what would have happened if we had not intervened concurrently. This often involves making assumptions regarding what the MD may have documented later, how the coder would have interpreted the issue, whether they would have placed a retro query, etc. I dont like reporting data out that i am not confident of. That being said, we are under quality so they are well aware of the work we do and that we do impact these rates.
    We do have a retro PSI process though where all coded PSI-90 records are reviewed to make sure that coding was accurate. When we do pull these back and re-code, I do track this impact as i am confident that we truly had final impact on these records.

Katy Good
  • Katy-

I appreciate your comments. We are in quality too, and that is where the questions for capturing quality metrics were coming from- Besides the obvious revenue adjustments and CMI, I have been asked to find a tracking mechanism (beyond SOI/ROM) for quality metrics thus providing further proof and justification that CDI is impacting more than the bottom line. There in lies the struggle.

• Are they trying to separate CDI impact from the quality nurses impact? Our director just reports out the quality metric improvements knowing that both process improvement and CDI impact these metrics.
    You certainly could track these kinds of queries, I just dont like the idea of assuming that anything you queried on would otherwise have resulted in a PSI/complication. Also keep in mine that (as always) tracking queries does not account for impact made via CDI education.

Katy
  • Yes and I agree- we aren't assuming anything, just documenting the "catch", especially of an obvious error in the physician's choice of wording- looking beyond the simple tally/spreadsheet.