institutional definitions-who is involved?

Hi all,

We are trying to determine the best process for formalizing institutional definitions and I am curious what others have done?

We adopted sepsis-3 last year but there is nothing formal in place? Do those of you with institutional definitions have definitions included in policy/bylaws? Who determines definitions and establishes consensus? Do you have a specific 'clinical consensus' team or does it depend on the diagnosis? Who provides the education to providers regarding these definitions?

Any information about this process would be helpful.

thanks!

Katy

Comments

• Hi Katy, I would recommend reaching out to Deanne Wilk--she did a presentation on this topic at the ACDIS conference in 2016: https://acdis.org/resources/2016-conference-track-4advanced-cdi-facilitywide-clinical-indicators-quality-compliance

Please let me know if you'd like her email address. I'm sure she'd be happy to share her successes!
  • I was just looking at that presentation Brian!

thank you!

Katy

• larger organizations tend to have a team that works on these definitions. I worked in a relatively small organization and the team was usually myself and 1 or 2 providers. for example to develop criteria related to acute and chronic respiratory failure, i researched and wrote the criteria i felt appropriate, then worked with the pulmonologist and CMO to obtain their sign off. this was then brought to the medical staff for review. we did not have have a formal adoption to bylaws but the criteria was used to support clinical validity and spur query when needed by both the CDIs and the coders. we used the criteria for provider education. I would suggest working with medical staff to develop a more formal acceptance of the definitions by creating policy of such. This works well when working in a teaching hospital and  with residents.