Loop recorder insertion

I was wondering how everyone codes the insertion of a loop recorder? Is it open (this is currently what we are coding) or is it percutaneous? I have heard differing opinions. Thanks for you help

Comments

• I had one once and used 0jh632z.. i hope this helps
  • Per ICD-10 Monitor:
    ardiovascular Proposed Rule Changes for Monitoring Devices

Practices and organizations specializing in cardiovascular treatments should be alerted to a number of changes in the coding directives. There are 3,549 new cardiovascular system codes that could impact both how a procedure is coded and the level to which it is coded. One area of particular note are changes in the coding of monitoring device insertion and revision.

A loop recorder, also known as in implantable cardiac monitor, is indicated for patients who experience episodes of unexplained syncope (fainting) or heart palpitations, or patients at risk for various types of cardiac arrhythmias, such as atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachyarrhythmia. Loop recorders function by detecting and monitoring potential episodes of these conditions.

In ICD-9, the code for this procedure (procedure code 37.79) was classified as an operating room procedure. Under the current Version 33, ICD-10 MS-DRGs, there are two comparable ICD-10-PCS code translations for ICD-9-CM code 37.79. They are the procedure codes relating to revision of cardiac rhythm related device in trunk subcutaneous tissue and fascia (code 0JWT0PZ, open approach), and revision of cardiac rhythm related device in trunk subcutaneous tissue and fascia, (0JWT3PZ, percutaneous approach), which are designated as operating room (OR) procedures. The following four ICD-10-PCS procedure codes identify the implantation or revision of a loop recorder and were not replicated appropriately because they are currently designated as non-operating room procedures under the ICD-10 MS-DRGs. It is being suggested that these codes be designated as OR procedures and assigned to the same. The specific codes are:

• Code 0JH602Z: Insertion of monitoring device into chest subcutaneous tissue and fascia, open approach
    • Code 0JH632Z: Insertion of monitoring device into chest subcutaneous tissue and fascia, percutaneous approach
    • Code 0JWT02Z: Revision of monitoring device in trunk subcutaneous tissue and fascia, open approach
    • Code 0JWT32Z: Revision of monitoring device in trunk subcutaneous tissue and fascia, percutaneous approach
    It is being proposed that the ICD-10 MS-DRG assignment for these four codes replicate the ICD-9-CM-based MS-DRG assignment for procedure code 37.79 as an OR procedure (that is, MS-DRGs 040, 041, 042, 260, 261, 262, 579,580, 581, 907, 908, 909, 957, 958, and 959).

https://www.icd10monitor.com/2017-ipps-coding-changes-ahead