Texting Physicians for CDI

Is it OK to text physicians to get them to document/clarify information in a patient's chart? The texts are sent via hospital provided phones. There is no record of the texts being kept other than a brief comment in 3M HDM such as, "text sent for CHF acuity/type" - but not always. Texting is the preferred method for communication for CDI with providers and I'm not sure if we are allowed to do this or not? 

Comments

• You would want to use a specific app such as tiger text to be hipaa compliant if you are transmitting patient data. We do use text but it is only to convey that a CDI query has been emailed to them for their review.
  • I agree you need to assure HIPAA compliant- I would see a texted query to be the same as a verbal query- meaning it should still be tracked within your system. I teach in class "verbal query= written query"  meaning it should be documented and included in any metrics to include the provider response. You need to demonstrate your compliance with the query practice- meaning the text cannot be leading or provide direction of the correct answer and you want to track this as a part of your work productivity and impact.