Peer Reviews

Our team members currently complete monthly peer reviews on each other and take a yearly competency exam. Is this common practice for most CDI programs to validate team member's competency? Are there other ways/ideas you suggest or ones that have worked in your CDI program for validating competency and compliance with query practice other than peer reviews?

Comments

• I love the idea of peer reviews for a number of reasons. This allows the staff to learn from each other- often the reviewer learns from the reviewee. The results of peer reviews may identify trends related to an individual's performance that would trigger a closer look by the manager.

Some organizations also bring in outside, objective auditors or have an internal auditor/educator team to perform this function. Use your metrics to identify potential issues related to staff competency- those individuals who appear to be outliers related to query rate, response rate, agreement rate, reconciliation issues may require a closer look.

• edited November 2018

I agree with Laurie's mention and idea of "this allows the staff to learn from each other- often the reviewer learns form the reviewee." 

The task of validating competency and compliant query practice lies solely within the management role (myself) at my current organization.  However, I have been very innovative by creating a "Query Peer Review" session at our monthly staff meetings.  As I perform weekly audits on staff members, I find those queries with the most opportunity for improvement and copy them to a document for the month.  During the monthly staff meeting, I build in time for those peer reviews.  I bring up the case (with all CDS identification erased) on our screen and allow a couple of minutes for the team to review, point out the errors or opportunities they see individually, and we have an open discussion of what's wrong, how to improve, and best practice techniques.  This has been very successful, as I have noticed improvement in every one of my team member's query practice.  I think this allows for learning and growth from all involved, the CDS who wrote the query and their peers.  It shows everyone "what not to do", and affirms "what to do" for those who may have not sent the type of query under review.

I think this also saves time for the CDSs.  Instead of using time out of their day (or away from productivity), it allows us to address the opportunities as a team during staff meetings that have already been scheduled.

As for assessing "competence" level, a lot of that is done through my observation from weekly audits and reviews of the CDSs' work.  We also complete an annual competency exam.

I hope this is helpful.  Thank you!

• That is a great practice.