Rewards for good documentation

We are looking to start a reward system of some sort for physicians that exhibit good documentation consistently.  Probably a once a month thing.  In my past experience we have used candy treats and certificates.  I am curious as to what types of thing others do to reward good documenters.  Please give me examples of what the reward is so I can expand ideas.  Thank you

Comments

•   We post the names on the TV/information monitor in the Physician lounge area. You would not believe the great response we got from the ones making the list and the ones noting that they did not make the list.
  • Thank you zmjackson, that sounds like a good idea!
  • My team at one of our hospitals came up with the idea of a "Documentation Superhero".  They put up a poster board in the MD lounge with the great documentation, a brief explanation of why it was so good and allowed the doc to choose his or her favorite superhero.  They then took a picture and posted the chosen superhero with the MD's face-- big hit with the docs and I think a "super" idea-- sorry, it's Friday!

• What parameters do you use to determine the best documenters?  Regular audits?  Response to queries?  No need for queries (the best documenters probably don't need them)?  Thanks!  
  • The team was looking for documentation that was complete, accurately reflected the clinical picture, and was in codeable language. Not ambiguous. Carried through the record. Supported by labs, imaging, etc. They just took examples as they saw them in their daily work-- they didn't audit to find them. 

• Our hospital started handing out (no kidding) gold stars and these funny thumbs up sticky notes.  The physicians get down right competitive if one physician gets something like that and they don't.  We hand them out for the same as jbrown mentioned above-not ambiguous, complete documentation, the provider accurately documenting diagnoses we normally query on.  Or providing greater specificity on something we usually have to clarify.  Things like that.  We approach them by saying things like "Wow, your documentation on patient "smith" is awesome!  Here's a gold star" or a thumbs up post it.  whatever we have.  I love the candy treats idea as well.  Our providers all say they don't want chocolate or treats.  They're all "dieting".  But I tried it once and got the same wonderful response.  
  • I am going back to a previous process that I had at another facility.  We had a template letter that went to the physician and a copy went into their quality folder.  We did not attach it to their score card as there was some degree of subjectivity to it, but knowing they had a positive finding in their file was something they really liked. 

• We used to do reward certificates signed by chairman of medicine in my previous institute. The physician

were very proud to put that in their resumes. 

• We did a "Doc Do Write" award quarterly, looking at the clinician's query rate (# of queries/ all their pts for the quarter), response rate: before discharge vs after, and good documentation. Had the CDI write a Yelp! type review, then we gave a Doc Do Write certificate and nametag holder with the logo as well as a Yeti cup. Then we put it in the organizational news. It was fun!.
  • Prime parking space?