CCS for CCDS RN

I have 5+ years experience as a RN CCDS. I am really thinking about going forward to obtain my CCS. What do you think is the best way to do this?

Thank you,

K Nealis BSN RN CCDS

Comments

• I am also thinking of taking the CCS. We are looking at the Codemasters prep course. What prep courses have others taken that they would recommend for CCDS?
  • I would "highly" recommend Marybeth York's course CCS for CDI from Libman Education. She runs an excellent course w/personal help if needed. Be willing to put the time into obtaining your CCS because it is very rewarding and has really brought everything together for me as a CDI.  4 of us (2 coders and 2 CDI) have taken her course and we all passed!

• Thank you for taking to the time to share your infomation-I have come across her program before!

• I took the CCS online self paced course on AHIMA and I passed!!  Also, the best advice I feel I could give would be to make sure you are VERY familiar with the code books and have the current year code books for the test.  You have to search the codes using the books and this is the most time consuming part. 
  • edited February 2019
    rmhosler1 said:
    I took the CCS online self paced course on AHIMA and I passed!!  Also, the best advice I feel I could give would be to make sure you are VERY familiar with the code books and have the current year code books for the test.  You have to search the codes using the books and this is the most time consuming part. 

Thank you! Do you know the name of the course-was it like a coding basics course that you have access to for 365 days?
  • HCPro also offers numerous online courses that you may also find helpful. you can access the catalog on hcmarketplace.com

• Recently passed my CCDS exam and am wondering what the next logical step is to gain a broader skill set. I see mention of the CCS exam. Are those a good complement to one another?

• How much CPT would you say is included?  I want to take my CCS exam as well, but have NO interest in anything CPT.  :)

• I recently passed my CCS with Codemasters. I thought that the course was great. However, my only negative was that the course was not strong with teaching CPT. My exam was heavy on CPT. You just have to self study. Good luck

• My CCS exam had some CPT, but most coding questions involved CM and PCS codes. I took the Libman Education CCS for CDI course and felt well prepared for the exam. Three in my office took this class and passed the exam.

• I am confused as to whether I meet the qualifications for the CCS exam. I know the requirements but does being a CCDS count as "directly applying codes". I don't want to apply and not meet the requirement's because you lose $75. I have emailed them and all they do is send me the requirement list again. Any nurses with only the CCDS certification apply and get accepted? Thanks!