CPR with Lucus device

Does your CDI team code CPR with using a Lucus device? Since a  lucus device provides continuous CPR .  if so which code should you use?  We are thinking 5A02216.  But this can sometimes lead to moving the DRG into a "procedure unrelated tot he principal diagnosis" 981 DRG.   Would 5A12012 be better ( this is just manual CPR)?

Comments

• I would not code CPR via the Lucas device as a procedure - i would/do code it to manual CPR. Interested to hear if others do it differently.
  • Agree with Aimee—
    No, I would not use the first code you listed. This code is for use for cardiac output assistance with devices such as balloon pumps or Impellar devices and will most likely change your DRG. I would
    definitely use the manual CPR code as this device is just providing chest compressions. 

• Confirming - Manual CPR is not coded with a Lucus device.  The code cited is an O.R. Procedure used to assign a code for continuous output assistance with a pump - it would also be used for Balloon Pump, Impeller Pump, and so forth.   Often used in the presence of cardiogenic shock.
  • thank you Paul- Is there a code you would suggest?  since lucus device is not manual but a machine providing continuous compressions- our hospital uses this a lot in our ED and ICU's.

• I have never coded this procedure, and have worked solely as a CDI for a decade.  But, will try to provide some insight.  This is a mechanical device that externally provides CPR continuously.

5A1221Z. (Performance Cardiac Output Continuous)

Extracorporeal Assistance
    Physiological System
    Performance
    Cardiac
    Continuois
    Output
    No Qualifier

it would help you to see the PCS Table.  Using this in my grouper, there is not impact on DRG assignment.   Is this the code your coders also assign?
  • Thank you Paul. That was a second code we came up with.