CDI Nuance Competency Exam

I need to take a proctored, 2 hour NUANCE CDI Clinical Comptencey Exam. Does anyone have any experience with this exam? If so, can you fill me in please.  Thank You!!

Comments

• I had taken this exam approximately 6 years ago-from what I remember, it's looking more at your clinical knowledge for recognition of diagnoses (i.e. respiratory acidosis, what normal ICP would be vs. what elevation would indicate). You're not expected to know so much of the coding aspect of things-that comes after hire with another exam, I believe either within 90 days or 4-6 months? 
  • Correct as above and as best I recall?

Step 1.  Pass a clinical screening exam

As I recall, some months later, there is a second, more comprehensive exam regarding coding and data quality aspects of the job.

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCS
  • Yes, the clinical competency assessment is solely assessing your clinical knowledge, there is nothing to do with coding.  We only interview the applicant if scores at least a 70%.  The coding assessment taken well after hire is just to assess what you have learned, to let you and your supervisor/manager know how you are progressing or perhaps areas where you may need additional education or support.

Sharon Cooper, MSN, RN-BC, CCDS, CCS, CDIP, CHTS-CP, AHIMA-Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer