Dedicated CDI space

I am wondering how others have worked in their facility to get dedicated space for the CDI team.  while I know the majority of the time is spent on the units interacting with the providers and multi-disciplinary teams I recognize there is value in having a dedicated space/office where CDS can interact, discuss cases, codes, coding clinics, mentor new staff etc.  While CDI is revenue generating for the hospital I am having a hard time convincing the CFO of the need.

Comments

• Fortunately, our CDI is under HIM/Revenue Management. Our CFO is over our director. We have a very nice office in the Revenue Management department. We are closely located to the coders- which has made for building a great team where we collaborate and learn from one another without any animosity. As well, our CEO views our productivity reports in the UR meeting- he is a strong supporter of the CDI department and gives much respect to our work. I hope that your administration will provide a space for you and that they will support the hard work that goes into your position and realize the difference it makes to the bottom line, the clarity of the record, physician scores, quality, and on and on. Maybe you can share some of the responses that you will receive. Hope that you will get your needed space.

• Providers often seek CDI out, and if there is no designated home for them to find you that could be frustrating. This includes all the other departments that work with you- case management, quality, nursing and ancillary staff... how do they find you if you have no "home".
  • We have a dedicated space, but we are under case mang. We are totally in house and we are on EPIC.

Steph

• We have office space on one of the nursing units.  I also have 2 staff who work from home. 
  • We have a dedicated space....8 people in one small area. We have one CDS working from home as a pilot and it has went great. The rest of the team will start working from home starting in June. They will be on a weekly rotation, so at least one CDS will be on-site to have face to face interactions with providers.
  • Rebekah,

I like how you are structuring the CDI's working from home with one CDI on site.

Our CDI's communicate with our physicians primarily via email and phone calls so having staff off site does would not have a negative impact.