Skin laceration repair vs elbow repair

Hello,

I am looking for some guidance on when to use 0HQEXZZ (repair of left lower arm skin, external approach) versus 0XQCXZZ (repair of left elbow region, external approach).  Here is an example of the procedure note below.  Patient was admitted for acute renal failure and happened to fall during admission an had a laceration with was sutured at bedside.  The repair of arm skin seems appropriate and end with medical DRG of 682, the repair of elbow results in a surgical DRG of 981, extensive OR procedure unrelated. 

Is there any clarification I need to get from the provider or references to note in determining the most appropriate code?  We have two differing views on this case.

"Laceration repair left elbow

Patient had a fall earlier this morning with resultant hematoma of her head and left elbow laceration.

The laceration was copiously irrigated with sterile normal saline and draped in sterile fashion. The area surrounding the laceration was anesthetized with 1% lidocaine with epinephrine. Once proper anesthesia was established 3 sutures were applied to the Y-shaped laceration with 3-0 Prolene suture. The wound margins were well approximated and no blood loss was noted during this procedure though she did have quite a bit of bleeding immediately following the incident this morning given that she is on Xarelto. The laceration was approximately 4mm X 4mm in size in a Y shaped pattern.

She will likely need these sutures removed in 12-14 days. I did apply Neosporin to the wound with gauze and Coban following. Will continue to monitor for signs of infection including erythema, drainage, increased tenderness, swelling and fevers.

There were no complications to this procedure today and she tolerated it well."

Thank you,

Janine Podany, MSN, RN

Comments

• Just posting a comment in hopes that a fellow CDI will see this.  Responses are appreciated.

Thank you,
    Janine
  • I would most likely assign the  0HQEXZZ (repair of left lower arm skin, external approach) for the procedure.  This code specifically identifies the skin as to what is being repaired.  I was trying to think of when the 0XQCXZZ (repair of left elbow region, external approach)  would be used, and I am drawing a blank.  Sorry, not very helpful.
  • I agree with above. 
  • Thank you both for taking the time to address.  Do you feel the procedure note needs to specify that the skin was repaired?
  • This procedure would actually be coded to 0XQCXZZ - Repair of Left Elbow Region, External Approach.  The procedure note doesn't state the depth of the repair, and coders are not allowed to assume the depth.  Coders are also not allowed to use measurements to determine depth.  The physician has to actually say "Skin" in order to use the other code.  For situations like this the coder either codes the elbow region or sends a query for depth.