CCDS/CDIP

I am looking to take the CCDS within the next three months.  I also want to obtain my CDIP.  Is there anyone with both certifications, and if so, do you think it would be ok to study for both exams at once, or, do one exam, then the other?  Thank you

Comments

• I found the two exams to be very different. The CCDS is much more focused on the true work of a CDI professional. The CDIP was more focused on HIM and record management. I would suggest you review the test objectives for both exams- there is some overlap but I think some areas are very different. 
  • Thank you!!   :)
  • Hi, i did the CDIP in Jan using the CCDS study materials I failed. Most of the questions were not specific to CDI roles or functions. I will be taking the CDIP again in the next few months, I am planning on using materials for both exams. 
  • edited August 2018
    Jamoo, the reinforces what I was saying above- the two exams are very different. I am sorry your first attempt at CDIP did not go well- but now you know the focus of the exam for your next attempt.
  • First, I must say I am NOT a CDIP, and I am not familiar with that exam.  But, since I have the CCDS,  I do have to wonder if both credentials are truly needed?  Not negating the value of either, but from a practical point of view, it is expensive to obtain such credentials and keep the CEUs current, and most of us budget these from our own pockets.  

Paul Evans, RHIA, CCDS, CCS, CCS-P

• i very much agree paul- I am not a fan of alphabet soup. I took the CDIP exam more to understand its focus knowing it would be compared to our own CCDS. It was a difficult exam as is the CCDS. I think if one were working within an HIM department as was responsible for the many aspects of medical record management this might be a good exam. I do not see it as a great measure of one's CDI knowledge or one's function in that role.
  • I'm a coder by trade although I've done CDI work in the past.  I obtained the CDIP first because it was the AHIMA credential.  It was fairly easy for me as I'd been an HIM Manager at one point and was familiar with regulatory and documentation issues.  The CCDS exam I took afterwards and I found it much more difficult.  Not being from a clinical professional background the focus on medications and disease processes was challenging.  While I passed the test I didn't have the confidence while taking it I did when I took the CDIP.  I would recommend both tests for any CDI as one or the other will challenge you and will require you to learn something "new".

Erik Kilbo, CCS, CPC-I, CDIP, CCDS
    Manager - Enterprise HIM Coding
    Greenville Health System

• Jamoo said:
    Hi, i did the CDIP in Jan using the CCDS study materials I failed. Most of the questions were not specific to CDI roles or functions. I will be taking the CDIP again in the next few months, I am planning on using materials for both exams. 

• Has anyone taken the test recently since the changes were made ? Thank You:)
  • I took the test in June and passed. The test was very different from the CCDS and you cannot use any references so I found myself second guessing some of my answers. I did use a AHIMA CDIP study guide to help prepare.

My only complaint- I felt that many questions/answers were subjective, especially in the leadership portion.

• Passed CCDS last year, but since I just passed the CCS with Ahima I figured I'd take the CDIP as well. Have the AHIMA study guide, we shall see. :smiley:
  • Passed CDIP, everyone is right, it's very different from the CCDS. Very management focused - I did awesome on the coding portion and very sad on the compliance portion. :blush:
  • I took the test in June and passed. The test was very different from the CCDS and you cannot use any references so I found myself second guessing some of my answers. I did use a AHIMA CDIP study guide to help prepare.

My only complaint- I felt that many questions/answers were subjective, especially in the leadership portion.

lprescott1 said:
    i very much agree paul- I am not a fan of alphabet soup. I took the CDIP exam more to understand its focus knowing it would be compared to our own CCDS. It was a difficult exam as is the CCDS. I think if one were working within an HIM department as was responsible for the many aspects of medical record management this might be a good exam. I do not see it as a great measure of one's CDI knowledge or one's function in that role.

Jamoo, the reinforces what I was saying above- the two exams are very different. I am sorry your first attempt at CDIP did not go well- but now you know the focus of the exam for your next attempt.

• Hi Everyone, Can you tell me with the CDIP if there are any materials you are allowed to bring with you?  I am not finding that anywhere.  For example code books, etc. 
  • Hi Carolyn,
    You are not permitted to have any materials with you for the CDIP.
  • Hello, does anyone have recommendations for the CDIP exam prep- any good reviewer that you’ve used? Thanks!