Mortality Reviews

I'd like to know what dept is is performing Mortality reviews at your facility?

If the review is performed by CDI staff, could you contact me with a work flow/procedure?

I am using 3m 360 so if anyone has a process for mortality review using this software, that would be helpful...thanks much!!!

Comments

• sbourque said:

I'd like to know what dept is is performing Mortality reviews at your facility?

If the review is performed by CDI staff, could you contact me with a work flow/procedure?

I am using 3m 360 so if anyone has a process for mortality review using this software, that would be helpful...thanks much!!!

Please shoot me an email jwmorris@health.southalabama.edu and we can discuss. I (Supervisor) conduct all mortality reviews pre-bill and also apply risk adjustment methodology. I also have 3M 360. This week and next (conference) is crazy but I will do what I can do to give you an idea of how I perform the reviews, etc..

If you will be at the Conference, maybe we can chat!!

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Perfect!!!  Thanks so much!  I would love to chat next week at ACDIS too.  Will send work email later today...
  • We have one dedicated CDI RN for mortality reviews (we review 100% of mortality accounts). Unfortunately, we are not able to use the mortality list that 3M can produce as for some reason the expirations are not accurate. We have a system where once a patient expires and the unit secretary enters the date, an "expiration notice" prints out on our CDI printer. The mortality reviews are usually complete within 1-2 days of discharge.
  • Our CDI team reviews 100% of the mortalities pre-bill to ensure all clinically significant diagnoses are documented and coded. We have 3M 360 and to help with workflow we had them create a custom worklist for us to include the mortalities (they can do this based on dispo). The cases remain on this worklist until reconciled. We also have a template that we plug in to 3M CDIS so that the information entered in the mortality review is consistent across the board. If your team is newer to these types of reviews, I can share with you a presentation on key diagnoses to look for as well as a print out of a poster presentation from a few years back on this topic. My email is kseekircher@northwell.edu. Hope this helps.

• We also perform 100% Mortality and HAC HARM reviews Pre Bill. The review is conducted twice/week with CDI, Coding and Quality Dept in attendance. The Risk Adjustment Methodology is reviewed and addressed at this time.

• Our CDI team reviews 100% of the mortalities pre-bill to ensure all clinically significant diagnoses are documented and coded. We have 3M 360 and to help with workflow we had them create a custom worklist for us to include the mortalities (they can do this based on dispo). The cases remain on this worklist until reconciled. We also have a template that we plug in to 3M CDIS so that the information entered in the mortality review is consistent across the board. If your team is newer to these types of reviews, I can share with you a presentation on key diagnoses to look for as well as a print out of a poster presentation from a few years back on this topic. My email is kseekircher@northwell.edu. Hope this helps.

• Hi Kerry, are you still at the email address above? I tried to email you, but it did not go through.. If anyone is interested to network and share information on mortality review process, I am in! We have 2nd level prebill review process established. In our review process we look at SOI/ROM increases, HCCs, electrolyte imbalances (Vizient methodology). I was wondering what reports everyone is using to track improvements? just SOI/ROM? HCC capture increases? CMS Mortality yearly reports? My email is olga.desiatkin@pvhmc.org if you want to reach out to share info =) TY!